Thursday, November 19, 2009

Class of 2010's Graduation is Moving Closer



For a young 21 year old college student, childhood dreams seem so far while graduation creeps up slowly. As a graduating college student we are faced with issues in compelling situations that may require more thought than one had originally acquired. We see so many students these days continue their education by attending graduate school to stray away from their nagging fears of being in the "real" world. What is the real world anyways? Its not the running fifteen year long reality show most of us remember in the wee hours on MTV and it cannot be the college life... so what is it with the real world? We all have bills to pay in college. We all have term papers, exams, and reluctance against general education requirements. So why are we constantly pressured by the fear of the real world?

Well coming from a college senior I am now obsessing with my place in the real world just as any person would. When one observes their future, as a high school senior would, one might feel as if the pressure has heightened more than ever. A striking observation to me is the fact that as a graduating senior in college we have more options than ever. I mean honestly speaking this world is simply a playground of negative beings. We have created a world that supports how we enter and exit out of buildings and how you dress can determine the person you are. This structured society is all a playground in which the government wants us to stress about.

As graduation arises there is a heightened chance of landing a full time job straight out of college... sure this is great if you have a fabulous salary but why not celebrate the 17 years we all just spent in college? Sure we partied on Thirsty Thursdays and went to Hollywood clubs in Hummer limos with the Frats but really we need a sober, more intelligent, hats off to a celebration of hard work. This is why after graduation I plan on traveling.

I am going to plan my first trip to Europe with my family. Ideally I would spend the entire summer in Italy since I studied Italian intensively for two years but I feel the exposure will make me a more broadened and intelligent person all around. I guess afterwards a job would be ideal but here is the next dilemma a person might face after graduation. To stay in their college town or make the move home to save money and move in with their parents? In my case, should I stay in Los Angeles or move back to the San Francisco Bay Area? Entertainment is in LA and grad school, family, familiarity, and public relations with Pixar and such is in the Bay Area. I guess where I land a job is where it will take me.

Until next time,
Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment